Portland Friends Meeting offers both adult and children religious education and other activities during the school year (mid-September through mid-June). Regardless of the time of year childcare is available downstairs in the nursery each week for ages 0 to about 7 years old.
Please read on for more information:
- 1st Sundays: Childcare is available from 9-11:45am. Because of Meeting for Business (9-10:30am) there is no First Day School programming.
- 2nd Fridays – Young Friends ages 14-18 or 19 meet for some social time and activities – at times off campus.
- On the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month, September through mid-June, children attend our First Day School Youth Programs:
- 10am Singing for All (children & adults)
- 10:30-10:45 – youth attend the first 15 minutes of Meeting for Worship
- 10:45-11:45 – youth attend First Day School Programs:
- Early Elementary – ages 4,5,&6 meet to experience an introduction to God, worship, prayer and Friends values through stories and crafts. (Location: 1st floor back classroom)
- Middles – ages 7-12/13 (location first floor back classroom)
- Young Friends – – ages 14-18 or 19 gather on 4th Sundays (usually) for discussion. (Location: teen room in the attic). See 2nd Fridays listing above for Young Friends social events.
- Sign Your Child(ren) Up for First Day Programming – Please complete this short registration form (click here) and return it to the Youth Religious Education Coordinator
- Volunteer for one Sunday – Please complete this short form (click here) and return it to the Youth Religious Education Coordinator
- Contact the Youth Religious Education Coordinator – For more information regarding Portland Friends Meeting’s First Day Programming please contact the Youth Religious Education Coordinator, Via Email 207-233-6587.
- Childcare During Meeting for Worship – On 1st – 4th Sundays there is childcare available downstairs for children ages 0-7ish from 9-11:45am. On the rare 5th Sunday childcare is available only from 10:30-11:45am. Children join the adults at the rise of Meeting for introductions and announcements.
- Please know children are welcome to join regular Meeting for Worship any time it works for you and your family.
- Please see here for the Portland Friends Meeting Minute on Child Safety and Abuse Prevention
- Summer Quaker-Related Programs: Looking for summer activities for your children? Families are encouraged to consider Friends Camp in China, Maine, and the summer day camp program at Friends School of Portland. Applications are available at their web sites. Please note that the Meeting has some scholarship money available for campers in need of financial aid. For more information please contact Anne Payson, YRE Coordinator via email.
- Youngish Adults Potluck – On 2nd Saturdays Portland Friends Youngish Adults (ages about 25-50) have a monthly pot luck dinner and discussion from 5-8pm. You can join a Facebook group to be notify you of the details and location each month – and if you’re not on Facebook, please e-mail the current coordinator, at email@example.com to ask him to include you on the e-mail notification list.