Welcome to Portland Friends Meeting
We invite you to join us for Meeting for Worship – See details below
At the core of Quaker Faith is our belief that there is that of God in every person. It is our trust that all people can have a direct inward experience of divine love, healing and guidance. We have learned that through responding to this guidance we can come to have lives reflecting the light and love of God. This is the hope, the invitation and the promise that gathers us as a people called “Friends.”
Portland Friends Meeting is an open and affirming community which welcomes attenders from many faith traditions.
Worship is held:
COVID NOTE as of 11/29/21: Due to ongoing high local Covid rates, we are experimenting with a variety of different worship formats, both in person and online.
First Sundays of Each Month (starting December 5) – All Zoom:
We will have Meeting for Business at 9 a.m., followed by Meeting for Worship at 10:30 a.m., both on zoom.
For the time being, there will be no in-person worship on first Sundays.
Contact Lyn and Rob, Co-Clerks, for the zoom link or if you have any questions.
Every Other Sunday
Other than the first Sundays of the month, there will be an in-person option and a zoom option, both starting at 10:45 a.m. and lasting approximately one hour.
In person at the Meetinghouse at 10:45 a.m.
Portland Friends Meeting, 1837 Forest Avenue, Portland
Please carefully read and observe the COVID Meetinghouse Use Guidelines below, which require masks and either vaccination or negative rapid test.
On Zoom at 10:45 a.m.
A link will be sent on the Meeting e-group weekly. Sign up here to join the e-group.
Or contact Co-Clerks Lyn and Rob for the zoom link and if you have any questions.
Child Care -- We are still working out the details of our child care offerings this coming winter, and will share updates as they become available.
First Day School -- First Day School for children will be offered certain weeks, with no fixed schedule at this time. Contact the Co-Clerks for any questions regarding First Day School.
Young Adult Friends Midweek Worship -- On Wednesday evenings at 7 p.m. there is also unprogrammed worship followed by friendly conversation, in a small group of people in their 20’s and 30’s. For location and information, contact the Young Adult Friends Coordinator.
To receive regular communications about Sunday worship and other Meeting matters, you can sign up to receive our weekly e-group announcements. More information here.
Meetinghouse Use Guidelines
Last Revised: November 28, 2021
Subject to change as conditions allow
- If you feel even the slightest bit unwell, please stay home and join us on zoom. This includes sniffles, runny nose, sore throat, headache. Don’t assume it’s not covid just because it seems mild. And even if it’s just a cold, let’s not spread those around, either.
- If you have not already done so and are eligible, please do get vaccinated, including any available boosters. If you are unable to get vaccinated, then you must take an over-the-counter rapid test (available at most pharmacies) and receive a negative result that day prior to entering the building. We will have some rapid tests on hand at the Meetinghouse, which you can take upon arrival while waiting in your car. Contact the Co-Clerks ahead of time to obtain a test, and plan to arrive at least 20 minutes early to take the test.
- Masks are required. We encourage surgical masks (or KN95 or N95) masks over cloth masks, unless your cloth mask has at least double layers and is tight fitting. New research has shown that surgical masks are much more effective than the typical cloth mask, even after multiple uses. We will have a supply of surgical masks available at the entrances to the Meetinghouse.
- For Meeting for Worship and similar Meeting-wide events:
- For the time being, everyone inside the Meetinghouse must remain masked, regardless of your vaccination status, even while giving a message or announcement (we will have a microphone and speaker available).
- We will follow social distancing practices as best we can, but for now there will not be any attendance cap or reservation system.
- Fellowship before and after Meeting for Worship is encouraged, but you must remain masked while indoors. Feel free to unmask when outdoors.
- For the time being, we will not serve snacks indoors.
- For contract tracing purposes, sign in upon entering the Meetinghouse, on the table by the back door.
- There are five portable air purifiers in the Meetingroom, and we will have them on during Meeting for Worship. Please use them for other meetings and events, and feel free to temporarily remove one from the Meetingroom to another room that you are using for a smaller meeting.
- As weather permits, open windows in any room that you are using, including the bathroom (curtain will block the view). Turn on overhead fan in Meeting room. Keep windows open for at least 20 minutes after use, to replace air flow. But please remember to close windows when you leave.
- To schedule an event, even a small group meeting, be sure to check the Meetinghouse calendar at www.portlandfriendsmeeting.org, and contact Lise Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For smaller group meetings: Limit your visit to as few rooms as possible. Please do not hold meetings in the library, as it lacks good ventilation. Consider meeting outside if your group is not fully vaccinated. If everyone in the group is fully vaccinated, you may choose to take off masks and not socially distance.
- For families or groups seeking to hold memorial services and similar events: You may determine what vaccination, masking and social distancing practices to follow, but we ask that you honor the rest of these Guidelines.